In an age where online video tutorials can teach you how to pretty much do anything, it’s all too tempting for the internet to be the first port of call when something goes wrong around the house. There’s nothing more satisfying than admiring your own handiwork and with a step by step tutorial at your fingertips, how hard can it be?
The reality is, attempting some home DIY such as an electrical repair can be extremely dangerous, not only to your home, but to your health as well.
A minor risk is that the repair will be carried out incorrectly and you’ll be left without any electricity, in-turn having to fork out for an electrician to come and fix your mistakes. But what’s far worse is that a single error could result in a major non-compliance, a serious house fire or an electric shock causing severe injury or death.
It’s a common misconception that the domestic voltage running through household electrical wires isn’t enough to kill. This is not correct. The line from the transformer to your home is about 240 volts and if there is a fault in this line, it may well be carrying a lot more power than that. More than enough power to kill, that’s for sure!
Faulty and aging wire is one of the major causes of electrical fires in the home. In The main cause of accidental house fires being the misuse of electrical equipment and appliances.
For any electrical projects, big or small call a professional. East Kent Electrical limited is a local, family electrical contracting business based in Margate, South-East Kent. Our aim is to meet all your home improvement needs; covering your whole project or just certain parts to suit your budget.
Please contact us to discuss your electrical queries, projects or to arrange a quote via the contact page. Call and speak to Trevor at East Kent Electrical Ltd directly on 01843 290107.