A frequent question we get asked at East Kent Electrical Ltd is whether or not a house needs rewiring. It’s not always easy for the home owner to tell, as many electrical cables are hidden away.
Age of Property
The first thing that needs to be considered is the age of the house and date it was last wired. If it was before 1984, many used aluminium wire instead of copper, and often without an earth cable. The result is a much higher chance of a fire being cause in the home and risk of electric shocks if a surge of power goes into your electrical equipment. The wiring could be potentially dangerous and unable to cope with modern day living demands, so rewiring will be required to bring it up to current standards.
If you are unsure whether your house needs rewiring, here are a number of simple things you can look out for:
- Do your lights flicker regularly or have any lights stopped working completely?
- Have a look at your plug sockets to see if any wiring is visible and frayed?
- Do your plug sockets feel warm when in use or look black/greyish around the outside?
- If there is a smell of burning when certain appliances are being used, it should no longer be used and checked out by an electrician as soon as possible.
- Take a look at the state of your fuse box. Can you see any wires and are any of them frayed? Fuse boxes mounted on wood date back to the 1960’s and do not have an earth so will need changing.
- If you have had any recent water damage to the property, the safety of your electrics should be checked and rewired if necessary.
- If you are currently extending the home then all wiring should be checked in the property. Many people are now extending their properties and adding home automation, putting a strain on the current electrics. Rewiring is often required in order for the current electrics to cope with the demands of modern day living.
Faulty electrics can be a serious fire hazard, which can lead to injury or electrocution so it’s vital to get them checked by a qualified electrician, if you are in any doubt. Cabling has changed significantly over the years so for those properties that need rewiring, it is essential to ensure that you get the most from your electric supply and to provide you with the comfort and ease of getting the most out of the latest technologies available.
If you would like some advice or would like to book an appointment with a qualified electrician to determine the safety of your electrics or to talk about rewiring your home then please contact us.
If you have enjoyed reading this article and found it useful please share it with your friends and family.