Skip to content

How Safe Are the Electrics in Your Home?

Now is an ideal time to check all your electrics in your home to ensure they are still safe and fit for purpose. Electricity is one of the major causes of all accidental fires in the home so how do you ensure your house is safe?

During the winter month’s we naturally use more electricity in our homes. For starters, our lights are used more frequently and are left on for longer so we can continue about our everyday tasks. In addition to this, modern living has meant we now use more electrical appliances. In the winter, we tend to be indoors more too, so the use of multiple TV’s, DVD players, games consoles and computers all at once is a common occurrence.

Here’s our quick guide to help you check how safe your electrics in your home actually are.

Fuse Box

Your fuse box (consumer unit) should be easy to get to so you can turn off the electricity in an emergency. Also, it should look neat with no wires looking worn or tangled.

How Old is Your Wiring?

You should have your wiring checked regularly in your home to consider the condition of your cables, sockets and switches. If you are unsure how old your wiring is and you recognise any of the following, then you really should contact an electrician:

  • Black rubber coated cables or cables coated in lead or fabric, as these were around in the 1960’s and prior.
  • Fusebox with cast iron switches or with a wooden back.
  • Round pin plug sockets and light switches, or sockets mounted in skirting boards.
  • Wall-mounted bathroom light switches.

Hazards

There are many electrical hazards in our homes and the following are a few things to look out for:

  • Overloading sockets with multiple plugs can cause a strain on your electricity.
  • Burning smells from any electrical socket or switch.
  • Buzzing or crackling sound from electrical sockets, switches or plugs.
  • Regular fuses blowing or circuit breakers tripping.
  • Using damaged electrical equipment.

Plugs and SocketsElectrics

When was the last time you checked your plugs and sockets? Damaged plugs and sockets can cause electric shocks and fires in the home. Check all the sockets and plugs in use throughout your home, looking out for any burn marks, buzzing or crackling sounds when in use, fuses blowing, damaged wires coming out of the plugs, exposed wires, or if it feels hot when in use.

Adaptors

Modern living has resulted in the use of more electrical equipment in the home. The average room has approximately 4 plug sockets, but this can sometimes still not be enough. Extension leads and adaptors are an easy solution, but can cause real danger if misused. Don’t ever use adaptors plugged into another adapter and try not to overload them. If you are finding you do not have enough sockets in a room, ask a local electrician to install some extra sockets.

If you house does require some updating to its electrics or rewiring, do not carry out the work on your own. Ensure any electrical work is carried out by a competent and qualified electrician, who has the knowledge and skills required to make your house safe. It’s really not worth the risk not to.

If you are based in Kent, contact East Kent Electrical today for a quote.

Please share this post: